The Froggy Dog restaurant was originally a hot dog stand. It then evolved into a Hatteras Island seafood restaurant. The restaurant has been in operation for three decades now. It is located in Avon in North Carolina. The restaurant has received various recognition and is now a landmark in the area. It is known for its ability to host large groups of people.
The restaurant is owned by Julia Taft and her son, Blake Taft. They bought it in 2019, to add to their chain of restaurants in the region. The mother and son duo also own two of the Avon’s well established eateries.
· Cups & Cones
· Muffin & Scones
The Tafts brought in some improvements from their established businesses. These include;
· New menu items
· New bar offerings
· More event spaces
· Top-notch service
· Fresh ideas
The Froggy Dog Restaurant offers daily lunch and dinner. Their prices are favorable and they make most of the meals from scratch. The cooks use fresh, local seafood any chance they can. This gives the restaurant a local and homely feel. In addition to seafood, the restaurant also serves gluten-free and vegetarian options. Other menu favorites include;
· Pork chops
· Prime rib
· Skinny Dipping menu
The design of the Froggy Dog’s pub is extremely appealing. It has a gorgeous wood-paneling interior. The pub has space large enough to host parties and events happening at Hatteras Island. There is a private dining room upstairs that can host up to 40 guests. The dining room downstairs hosts up to 72 people. It has its own private bar that is used during events.
There is a redesign of the bar planned. It is to restore the Froggy Dog’s status as the legendary place for nightlife in Hatteras Island. Every week, a number of themed activities are held at the pub. The activities are aimed at giving adults something fun to do. These include;
· Music Bingo and Karaoke
· Pub Trivia
· Pirate Karaoke
The Froggy Dog pub is the spot to be in when looking for nightlife on the island. It is equipped with 13 TVs, a sports package and a late-night menu. There is also a large selection of wines and craft beers.
The restaurant has hosted Sunday brunch since it was established. The Tafts have fortunately continued with this tradition. The event is affectionately referred to as Sun Brunch by locals. The menu includes;
4. Refreshments – All alcoholic drinks can only be sold after 10 a.m. Drinks on the menu include;
· Coffee with Kahlua or Baileys
· Mimosas – Orange juice and champagne
· French Mimosas – Raspberry liqueur and champagne
· Orange Crush – Orange vodka, triple sec and fresh orange juice
· Island Dreaming – Maker’s Mark, peach schnapps, sweet tea, and lemon
· Super Dirty Martini – Includes 3 olives
· Froggy Long Island – Cruzan rum, Sauza tequila, Svedka vodka, Malibu, sours mix, pineapple, and a splash of sprite
· Horny Toad – Vodka, peach schnapps, orange juice, pineapple, and cranberry
6. Morning favorites
7. Omelets – these are served with your choice of grits or breakfast potatoes. You can also pick fruit, toast or biscuit.
8. Kids’ menu
9. Brunch Traditions
These are meal combinations that have been served at Froggy Dog since it began. The section includes;
1. Shrimp Alfredo – This includes sautéed shrimp and broccoli. It is served over fettuccine and topped with creamy Alfredo sauce. It is also served with garlic bread.
2. Grilled Salmon – This is served over sautéed spinach and mushrooms. It is topped with a lemon dill sauce.
3. Blackened Shrimp Po Boy – This is blackened shrimp over shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes. It is served on a hoagie roll with a roasted red pepper sauce.
4. Shrimp N’ Grits – This involves sautéed shrimp in a creamy white wine sauce. It includes andouille sausage, onions, and peppers. They are served over cheddar cheese grits
5. Veggie Philly – This includes an array of sautéed vegetables and Swiss cheese. They are served on a hoagie roll and topped with avocado and mayonnaise.
6. Pasta Primavera – This is sautéed vegetables. They are tossed in alfredo sauce over fettuccine.
7. Stuffed Portobello – the marinated Portobello mushroom is stuffed with vegan spinach.
8. Fish tacos – This is the most interactive meal on the menu. You get to build your own tacos. They are made of fresh catches every day. The tacos are served with;
· Mango salsa
· Black beans
Froggy Dog is known for its hosting services. It prepares food for events ranging from birthdays to funerals. The catering menu specializes in feeding people in a specific setting. The meals are made according to the number of people expected to be fed. This means that there are varying sizes of each entry. Some of the special mentions on the catering menu are;
1. Signature family meals
2. Family-size appetizers
3. Family-size salads
4. Family-size entrees
5. A La Carte sides – This includes;
· French fries
· Mashed potatoes
· Rice pilaf
· Seasonal vegetables
· Signature coleslaw
The Froggy Dog Restaurant and Pub is a family-owned business. The owners aim at making it a family-friendly space. This is by offering options on the menu for children and drink options for adults. Everyone is welcome at the restaurant. The event space is large enough to provide ample space for all events. There is an event catering option that allows you to have your gathering with no worry. The restaurant staff takes care of any meal concerns as well.
The restaurant offers private dining rooms. This space is for when you need space to conduct your business. The highlight of the restaurant is Sun Brunch. It offers various options to help push a slow Sunday as you wait for Monday. There is no better way to put an end to an active weekend than Froggy’s Sunday brunch.